Are you looking for ways to enhance your tabletop gaming experience? Well, I have scoured the web looking for five resources that will extend your gaming beyond the boundaries of your table! I hope you find these resources as helpful as I have!
What is Dragon+?
Dragon+ is you’re a mobile source for all-things Dungeons & Dragons. This “FREE” app for iOS and Android. It has everything you want to know about D&D in one easy place.
What you get:
- Game strategies and insights
- In-depth look at the current D&D storyline
- Informative interviews
- Ongoing comic series
- Great bits of lore
- Forgotten Realms world information
- Community updates and fan submissions
- Entertaining videos
This is a very helpful app for everyone and it is completely free. It will keep you constantly up to date with everything D&D related: Dragon Plus Issue
What is D&D Beyond?
This is a digital toolset for use with the Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition rules. It takes D&D players beyond pen and paper, providing a rules compendium, character builder, digital character sheets, and more—all populated with official D&D content. This digital tool allows you to do so much. This tool makes it very easy to search through looking for any content that your physical DND books have as well as Character management. I highly recommend this tool to all tabletop players.
Check out D&D Beyond here: https://www.dndbeyond.com/
What is Roll20?
Roll20 is one of the most popular ways to play tabletop roleplaying games online. It’s a free-to-use, browser-based virtual tabletop and began as an effort to keep its developers in touch via long-distance gaming with a toolset that includes in-depth character sheets, mapping, and a powerful dice roller. Most importantly, Roll20 is a toolset that is easy-to-use with optional features that give a Dungeon Master opportunity to entertain even the most seasoned adventuring group.
- Free-to-Use, with your party members only needing an invite link to start
- Browser-Based, using HTML5 technology with no need for downloads
- Built in Voice and Video Chat, taking advantage of WebRTC technology
- Quantum Roll & 3D Dice, giving the best-available dice randomness and physics
- iPad and Android Applications, for second screen and in-person gaming
- Character Sheets, helping you to realize PC and NPC characters
- Dynamic Lighting, a subscriber tool to set the mood for dark dungeon delves
Check out Roll20 here: roll20.net
What is Fantasy Grounds?
Fantasy Grounds is an application acting as a virtual online gaming table primarily intended for pen and paper style narrative roleplaying games. Designed to perform many of the things you can do while playing at a conventional gaming table and move it online.
Run games as the Dungeon Master or take part as a player, the application provides all the necessary tools to communicate, manage information and perform tasks such as rolling the dice or creating drawings.
Official Dungeons & Dragons Add-Ons
You can now get official D&D content and adventures pre-loaded into Fantasy Grounds as optional add-ons. These add-ons give you content and images directly from the core rulebooks and TRPG adventures, but without all the effort. You can be ready to run a game almost immediately.
Players can purchase the PC Customization Pack and a Class Pack that has everything you need to equip your character with all the abilities and equipment for your D&D game.
Dungeon Master Packs
The Dungeon Master’s Pack provides an additional assortment of material to help you create your own unique worlds, villains and more. Dungeon Masters will want to add content from the Player Packs, along with the Complete Core Monster Pack and one or more Adventure Packs to create your own unique content.
- You can play D&D with anyone around the world over an Internet connection
- Streamline combat with tactical maps and combat automation
- Apply and display modifiers to attack and damage rolls using modifiers and effects
- Link encounters and story elements with locations on a map
- Access all the content from the official D&D products add-ons
- Recognition of standard conditions, immunities, resistances, and vulnerabilities
- Recognizable character sheets that are interactive
- Anyone with a license or subscription can DM for an unlimited number of players
- The Dungeon Master can:
- choose which hand-outs and maps to share with players
- alter official adventures to fit their campaign
- track and award experience for defeating encounters and accomplishing quests
- manage the party inventory and divide loot with just a few clicks
- pre-place enemies for combat encounters
- see player character health and interact with them as a group or individually
- Search for monsters, spells, or items quickly
- Players can:
- run character sheets for 1 or more characters at once
- track ability uses and inventory
- initiate attacks against NPCs with simple drag and drop or CTRL Click targeting
- release a character sheet for another player to use in their absence
Check out Fantasy Grounds here: https://dnd.wizards.com/products/digital-games/pcmac/fantasy-grounds
D&D Adventurers League
What is the D&D Adventurers League?
The D&D Adventurers League is an ongoing official organized play campaign for Dungeons & Dragons. It uses the fifth edition of the Dungeons & Dragons rules and features the Forgotten Realms setting. You can play D&D Adventurers League games at any place that features adventures bearing the D&D Adventurers League logo. You can create a character and bring that character to games anywhere D&D Adventurers League is supported.
- This is a great tool to find and play with others in your area that uses standard core rules and official D&D campaigns (if you’re having trouble creating your own homebrew)
Check out the D&D Adventurers League here: http://dnd.wizards.com/playevents/organized-play
Well, that is all I have for you this week. I’ll be back soon with another article. Until then, game on!